San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Southeast Big Horn Basin
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 3:58 PM MDT on March 09, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EDT on March 10, 2014
The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a
* Flood Advisory for ice jam flooding in...
Big Horn County in central Wyoming...
Park County in central Wyoming...
Washakie County in central Wyoming...
* until 400 PM MDT Monday
* Washakie County and Big Horn County emergency management have
reported ice jam flooding on the Big Horn river and on
the upper nowood river. On the Big Horn river... the ice jam
flooding is occurring at several locations. The greatest impact
from the ice jams this afternoon is from the Washakie and Bighorn
County line to north of Greybull near the Spence oil field. Ice
jam flooding on the upper nowood river has also occurred south of
Ten Sleep. Two homes have been flooded and rural residents along
the upper nowood have been contacted about potential flooding.
Additional ice jam flooding is likely along the nowood river in
Washakie and Big Horn counties through Monday.
Warm days and freezing temperatures at night will allow the
threat for ice jamming to continue along the Big Horn... nowood
and possibly other area rivers through Monday. The threat will
begin to subside when most of the river ice has broken up in the
middle of the river channel... as it has at Worland. Ice jam
flooding is typically most severe near bridges.
Locations in and near the foothills of the Bighorn and Absaroka
Mountains could also see minor snow melt flooding through Monday
afternoon. In addition... rain is possible below 7500 feet tonight
in the absarokas and across Yellowstone... moving to the bighorns
on Monday late afternoon to early evening. Up to one half of an
inch of rain is possible across Western Park County. Much lesser
amounts are expected in the bighorns. Most of the precipitation
across the basin on Monday will occur with a cold front... this
will be predominantly snow with less than one tenth of an inch of
rain expected. Minor flooding has already caused the temporary
closure of the Medicine Lodge state archaeological site due to
runoff from the melting snow. Any rainfall combined with the warm
temperatures could increase runoff across other foothill locations.
River ice is very unpredictable... and may move and jam with little
notice. Any ice jam can cause flooding as the ice dam can cause
rapid increases in river levels in a short period of time. People
living near these rivers should monitor the situation closely and be
ready to move to higher ground if flooding occurs.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the
roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross
Report hazardous weather to the National Weather Service office in
Riverton at 1-800-211-1448.
Lat... Lon 4500 10790 4476 10781 4455 10738 4434 10717
4350 10712 4350 10755 4375 10771 4386 10831
4408 10850 4409 10881 4392 10909 4384 10909
4398 10954 4382 10975 4402 11005 4455 11030
4460 11064 4467 11067 4468 11103 4499 11107
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- South Dakota - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning
- Texas - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report