San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Washington, Okanogan Valley
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 7:01 PM PDT on July 22, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect from Wednesday morning
through Wednesday evening...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* a portion of north central Washington... including the
following areas... east slopes northern Cascades... Okanogan
Valley and Wenatchee area.
* From Wednesday morning through Wednesday evening
* a moist low pressure system will produce a band of moderate to
heavy rainfall over the east slopes of the northern Cascades.
Embedded in this band will be the potential for some
thunderstorms with very heavy rainfall rates. Thunderstorms
will continue to be possible over the area into the evening
* Heavy rainfall may lead to flash flooding or mud and debris
flows. The areas of greatest concern will be in and around the
recent burn scars from wildfires in 2012... 2013... and so far
through 2014. This includes the following burn scars...
the Carlton complex fire affecting residents... businesses... and
motorists in the Methow Valley and portions of the Okanogan
Valley. This includes motorists on US Highway 97 from Chelan to
Brewster and State Highway 153 from Pateros to Twisp.
The Mills canyon fire affecting residents and motorists in
Mills Canyon and other nearby canyons in the Entiat River
Valley... as well as motorists below the burned areas on Entiat
River Road and U.S. Highway 97a.
The Lone Mountain fire in the Stehekin River valley affecting
residents and recreationists in and below Boulder Creek and those
on the Stehekin River Road below the Boulder Creek drainage.
The canyon... poison... and Peavine fires above the cities of
Cashmere and Wenatchee.
The Byrd Canyon fire affecting residents and motorists in Crum
Canyon... Oklahoma Gulch... and Byrd Canyon as well as Highway 97
below the canyons.
The First Creek fire... affecting residents and motorists along
First Creek and in the Lake Chelan State Park... as well as
those residents that live at the mouth of Granite creek.
The goat fire affecting residents and motorists in Spray Canyon
and along antione creek.
The colockum-tarps fire affecting residents and motorists along
colockum creek and below tarpiscan Road.
The Eagle fire affecting residents and motorists in Bjork
Canyon and Eagle Creek Road.
The Chiwaukum creek fire affecting Highway 2 at colockum creek.
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding or debris flows. It takes as little as ten
minutes of heavy rain to cause flash flooding and debris flows in
and below areas affected by wildfires. Rain runs off almost
instantly from burned soils... causing creeks and drainages to
flood at a much faster rate than normal. Soils in a burn scar can
also become unstable when it rains... sometimes resulting in
debris flows and Falling Rock.
Rushing water and debris... including trees and rocks... can damage
or destroy culverts... bridges... roads... and buildings. Flash
flooding and debris flow paths are unpredictable and can affect
locations that are miles away from a burned area.
For a detailed view of the hazard area visit
- Alabama - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory
- California - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New York - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Weather Statement , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report