Current Watches and Warnings
Utah, Wasatch Mountains South of I-80
Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 4:18 AM MST on December 20, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EST on December 22, 2014
... Winter Storm Warning in effect from midnight tonight to 6 PM
MST Monday above 7000 feet...
The National Weather Service in Salt Lake City has issued a
Winter Storm Warning above 7000 feet for heavy snow and strong
winds... which is in effect from midnight tonight to 6 PM MST
Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.
* Affected area... the Wasatch and western Uinta Mountain ranges
and the northwestern portions of the Wasatch Plateau.
* Snow accumulations... accumulations of 10 to 20 inches...
primarily above about 7500 feet. Locally greater amounts are
possible above 8000 feet across the Wasatch Range.
* Timing... snow will increase across the Wasatch mountains
tonight... then spread south and east across the remainder of the
northern mountains by early Sunday. Rain and snow will continue
heavy at times Sunday through early Monday... then gradually
decrease in intensity and areal coverage Monday afternoon.
* Snow levels... snow levels at the beginning of the storm will be
near 6000 feet. Snow levels will rise to near 7500 to 8000 feet
Sunday morning and remain high Sunday night then lower again
below 6000 feet on Monday.
* Winds... strong northwest winds will develop along ridgelines and
across exposed areas by Sunday morning. Winds of 25 to 35 mph
with gusts in excess of 50 mph are expected. Gusts over 75 mph
are possible across the higher ridges.
* Impacts... heavy snow along with the potential for significant
blowing and drifting of snow will make for hazardous travel
conditions at higher elevations throughout this storm. Travel
across the summits along major routes through the northern
mountains will be initially impacted tonight into early Sunday
then snow levels will rise above most of these passes Sunday
morning reducing or ending the impact.
A Winter Storm Warning means a mixture of heavy snow and strong
winds are expected or occurring. Driving conditions may be
hazardous. Use caution. Be prepared for sudden restrictions in
visibility due to blowing snow. Keep a winter storm survival kit
in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
For winter Road conditions from the Utah Department of
http://www.Udottraffic.Utah.Gov/roadweatherforecast.Aspx or dial
For more information from NOAA/National Weather Service visit...
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Watch
- California - High Surf Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Watch , Record Report
- Maine - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Montana - Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Weather Statement , Dense Fog Advisory
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Winter Weather Advisory
- New Mexico - Dense Fog Advisory
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oregon - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- Texas - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Utah - Winter Storm Warning
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Storm Warning