San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Rhode Island, Washington
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 4:35 AM EDT on August 27, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 28, 2014
... High surf advisory in effect from 8 PM this evening to 8 PM
The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a high surf
advisory... which is in effect from 8 PM this evening to 8 PM EDT
* Location... South Coast of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
including Nantucket... Marthas Vineyard and Block Island.
* Surf height... 6 to 9 feet.
* Timing... from 8 PM tonight to 8 PM Thursday night. This may
eventually be extended into Friday.
* Impacts... high risk of rip currents. Also large waves crashing
ashore in otherwise safe viewing areas.
A rip current... sometimes mistakenly called an undertow... is a
strong but narrow current of water flowing from the beach to the
surf zone. It can rapidly carry a swimmer into deeper water and
exhaust an individual trying to swim against it.
If you are a poor swimmer and are caught in a rip current... swim
parallel to the beach until out of its pull. Another means of
escape for those who are good swimmers is to ride the current out
beyond the surf zone where the rip current dissipates... then swim
toward shore outside the effect of the narrow rip current.
Do not attempt to swim back to shore directly against the
current... it can exhaust and drown even the strongest swimmer.
Heed the advice of the beach patrol and swim only at guarded
beaches. Watch your children. Be especially cautious near piers
and jetties where rip currents can be enhanced.
In addition... viewers of large surf should be in safe areas well
away from possible splash over. Individual waves may be more than
twice the significant wave height... which can sweep a person into
the water from what may seem to be a safe viewing area. Falling
into the turbulent and sometimes Rocky Waters can result in
injury that reduces the chance of survival.
For the latest updates... please visit our webpage at
You can follow US on facebook at
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Special Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch
- Connecticut - Air Quality Alert
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Heat Advisory
- Kentucky - Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement, Air Quality Alert , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Air Quality Alert
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Missouri - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Flash Flood Watch
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , High Surf Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Air Quality Alert
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch
- Utah - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report , Public Information Statement