Current Watches and Warnings
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 8:00 AM EDT on April 25, 2018
Severe weather awareness week continues in Pennsylvania.
... Floods can be deadly... .
floods are the number one killer in the United States
among storm-related natural hazards. The main cause of death
during floods comes from automobiles being swept away by flood
waters. Many people die in floods because they try to cross flooded
roadways. Turn around, don't drown!
... What types of floods are there?...
floods which occur on small streams and creeks when heavy rain
falls in a short period of time are known as flash floods.
They are the deadliest of all floods and are the most difficult
to forecast. Warning times can be very short. Flooding also
occurs on our larger rivers and streams. A period of mild winter
weather can cause ice on a river to break up and then cause ice
... What does a Flood Watch mean?...
a Flood Watch means there is potential for flooding to occur. This
does not mean that flooding is occurring. A watch is typically
issued for several counties at a time and ideally is issued
12 to 36 hours before flooding is expected. This way you will have
enough time to prepare.
... If you live or work in an area which is prone to flooding
what do you do?...
have an evacuation Route mapped out and ready to go if
flooding occurs. Make sure everyone in your home or office
knows where to go quickly if flooding occurs. Have a battery
operated radio and flashlights available. Take precautions to
secure your property. If you have to evacuate, and if you have time,
turn off the gas and electricity to your home.
... What does a Flash Flood Warning mean?...
a Flash Flood Warning means a rapid life-threatening flood
is occurring or will soon begin. You need to take action
immediately to protect your life and property if you are
in the danger area.
... What you should do when a Flash Flood Warning is issued?...
move to higher ground immediately and get out of the danger
area. Never drive across bridges covered with water or through
areas where water covers the roadway. If your car stalls in a
flooded or low lying area, abandon it immediately. Rapidly
rising flood waters could easily sweep it away. Water is extremely
powerful. Be especially careful at night when it is harder to
see flooded areas.
... What does a river Flood Warning mean?...
a river Flood Warning means that river levels will exceed flood
stage at certain points along large rivers. River floods
take longer to develop so they may not pose as much threat to life,
but can take a much larger toll on property.
... What should do when a river Flood Warning is issued?...
if you live in a flood plain, be prepared to evacuate if ordered
to do so. Make sure you have all necessary items that you would
need in the event that you cannot return home for several days.
Make arrangements to protect your property by moving your valuables
to higher ground, or an upper level of your home.
Weather topics for the remainder of the week will be as follows:
Thursday April 27. Severe weather terms and definitions.
Friday April 28. Severe weather preparedness and safety.
For more information on weather hazards and severe weather
awareness week. Please visit:
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado -
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Idaho - Areal Flood Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Areal Flood Watch
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Montana - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Nevada -
- New Hampshire - Areal Flood Watch
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning
- Ohio - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Special Statement
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning