Current Watches and Warnings
New York, Northern Queens
Statement as of 3:28 PM EST on January 26, 2015
... Blizzard Warning remains in effect until midnight EST Tuesday
* locations... New Haven... Middlesex... New London and southern
Fairfield counties in Connecticut. Hudson... eastern Bergen...
eastern Essex and eastern Union counties in New Jersey.
Southern Westchester... New York (Manhattan)... Bronx... Richmond
(staten island)... Kings (Brooklyn)... Suffolk... Queens and
Nassau counties in New York.
* Hazard types... heavy snow and blowing snow... with blizzard
* Accumulations... 20 to 30 inches with locally higher
amounts... especially across Long Island and Connecticut.
* Snowfall rates... 2 to 4 inches per hour late tonight into
* Winds... north 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Gusts up to
70 mph possible across extreme eastern Long Island.
* Visibilities... one quarter mile or less at times.
* Temperatures... lower to mid 20s.
* Timing... snow will be heavy at times through Tuesday. The
heaviest snow and strongest winds will be overnight into Tuesday
* Impacts... life-threatening conditions and extremely dangerous
travel due to heavy snowfall and strong winds... with whiteout
conditions. Many roads may become impassable. Strong winds may
down power lines and tree limbs.
A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities will lead to whiteout conditions... making
travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must travel...
have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded... stay
with your vehicle.
All unnecessary travel is discouraged beginning Monday
afternoon... to allow people already on the Road to safely reach
their destinations before the heavy snow begins... and to allow
snow removal equipment to begin to clear roads.
Coastal Flood Warning
Statement as of 1:33 PM EST on January 26, 2015
Expires 7:00 AM EST on January 27, 2015
... Coastal Flood Warning in effect from 3 am to 7 am EST
The National Weather Service in New York has issued a coastal
Flood Warning... which is in effect from 3 am to 7 am EST Tuesday.
The coastal Flood Watch is no longer in effect.
* Locations... the New York coasts of the western Long Island Sound.
* Tidal departures... most likely 2 to 3 ft above the
astronomical tide with potential for up to 4 ft.
* Timing... 3 to 7 am late tonight into early Tuesday morning.
* Beach erosion impacts... 3 to 5 ft waves and high storm tide
may cause beach erosion along the north facing shorelines open
to the Long Island Sound. A few exposed Waterfront structures
may be damaged.
* Coastal flooding impacts... potential for flooding of
vulnerable shore roads.
A coastal Flood Warning means that flooding is expected or
occurring. Coastal residents in the warned area should be alert
for rising water... and take appropriate action to protect life
... Most likely western l.I. Sound water levels for late tonight...
Coastal... ... ... ... time of... ... forecast total... ..Flood... ..
Location... ... ... ..high Tide... ..Water level... ... .category..
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... (mllw)... ... ... ... ... ... .
Kings Point NY... ... 455 am... ... ..10.0-11.0... ... .moderate...
Glen Cove NY... ... ..445 am... ... ..10.3-11.3... ... .moderate...
Statement as of 3:17 PM EST on January 26, 2015
Expires 5:30 PM EST on January 26, 2015
A band of snow has developed and will impact the commute from
central and northern Suffolk County westward into portions of New
York City. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are
expected... so please exercise extreme caution when traveling late
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Arizona - Record Report
- California - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Connecticut - Coastal Flood Advisory , Blizzard Warning
- Delaware - Coastal Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- Massachusetts - Coastal Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Coastal Flood Advisory , Blizzard Warning
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Vermont - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Record Report