San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Dare
Areal Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:15 PM EDT on September 23, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 24, 2014
... Flood Watch in effect through Wednesday evening...
The National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has issued
* Flood Watch for a portion of eastern North Carolina...
including the following areas... Beaufort... Carteret... Craven...
Jones... Mainland Dare... Mainland Hyde... Onslow... Outer Banks
Dare... Outer Banks Hyde... Pamlico... Tyrrell and Washington.
* Through Wednesday evening
* 3 to 4 inches of rain... locally higher... is possible through
Wednesday. Heavy rain over already saturated ground may result in
* Likely ponding of water on roadways and possible Road closures
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:16 PM EDT on September 23, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement now in effect through Wednesday
* hazards... strong rip currents and north to south long shore
* Location... north of Cape Lookout.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for strong rip currents
to develop are a couple hours either side of low tide... which
will occur around 230 PM Wednesday afternoon.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach
access points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Strong long shore currents can sweep swimmers and surfers into
rip currents... piers... jetties and other hazardous areas. In many
cases the long shore current is strong enough to prevent swimmers
from being able to keep their feet on the bottom making it
difficult to return to shore.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Dense Smoke Advisory, Lake Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Maine - Frost Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Dense Smoke Advisory, Lake Wind Advisory , Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement