Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Dare
Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 2:21 AM EDT on April 27, 2018
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on April 27, 2018
504 PM EDT Thu Apr 26 2018
... A strong thunderstorm will affect Outer Banks Dare County...
At 220 am EDT, a strong thunderstorm was located over Avon, or 11
miles northeast of Frisco, moving north at 30 mph.
Winds of 30 to 40 mph are possible with this storm.
Locations impacted include...
Salvo, Avon, waves, Rodanthe, Hatteras Island fishing pier and Avon
Seek shelter in a nearby building or vehicle. Strong winds are
capable of knocking down small trees and blowing around trash cans,
potted plants, lawn furniture and other light outdoor objects.
Lat... Lon 3526 7542 3530 7563 3576 7554 3577 7520
time... Mot... loc 0620z 192deg 25kt 3537 7550
... Beach hazards statement now in effect through Friday evening...
* hazards... dangerous rip currents and rough surf.
* Locations... ocean side Dare and Hyde counties.
* Surf height... 2 to 4 feet.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for strong rip currents
to occur is a couple hours either side of low tide, which will
occur around noon Friday.
* Timing... through Friday.
* Impacts... dangerous rip currents expected.
If caught in a rip current remain calm. Don't fight the current.
Swim in a direction following the shoreline. When out of the
current, swim back to shore. If tired, float or tread water until
out of the rip current. If unable to escape, face the shore and
call or wave for help.
Shore break occurs when waves break directly on the beach. The
most common injuries with strong shore break are neck and back
injuries, which most often occur when the powerful surf throws a
swimmer or surfer head first into the bottom. It is extremely
important to protect your head and neck whenever you are in
breaking waves by keeping your hands in front of you at all
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska -
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado -
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory
- Idaho - Flood Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kansas - Frost Advisory
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch
- Michigan - Flood Advisory
- Minnesota - Flood Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Montana - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Mexico - Wind Advisory
- North Carolina - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Frost Advisory
- Oregon - Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Frost Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Flood Warning
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Record Report