Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Dare
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 5:19 AM EDT on May 31, 2016
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on May 31, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... high rip current risk.
* Location... along the beaches from Cape Lookout north.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time of strong rip currents
will be a couple hours either side of low tide... which will
occur around 930 am this morning.
* Surf height... 3 to 4 feet.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach
access points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Excessive Heat Watch , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Special Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Excessive Heat Watch
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Flood Warning