San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Eastern Currituck
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:54 AM EDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on August 28, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... strong rip currents and dangerous shore break.
* Timing... through this evening.
* Waves and surf... 4 feet through Thursday morning... diminishing
to 3 to 4 feet Thursday afternoon.
A high risk of rip currents means wind and or wave conditions
support the development of very strong rip currents... especially
in the vicinity of jetties... piers... and sandbars. These rip
currents will be life-threatening to anyone who enters the surf.
Be especially cautious with outgoing tides which improve rip
current formation. All beach goers should remain aware of
inherent dangers when entering the surf including swift longshore
currents... pounding shore break and shallow sand bars.
Rip currents are strong... narrow channels of water that flow out
to sea. If you become caught in a rip current... remain calm. Try
to swim on a course that is parallel to the beach until you get
away from the rip... then swim at an angle into shore. Do not try
to swim back to shore directly against the rip... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Dangerous shore break of 4 feet or greater can cause neck and
spinal injuries... affecting even the most able swimmers. Shore
break occurs when waves break directly on the beach potentially
causing neck and head injuries.
Always heed the advice of lifeguards. Pay attention to flags and
signs posted near beach access points and lifeguard stations.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Georgia - Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Maryland - Beach Hazard Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Jersey - Coastal Hazard Statement
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Utah - Special Statement
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report