San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Michigan, Van Buren
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:19 AM EDT on September 01, 2014
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on September 01, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from 10 am EDT this
morning through this evening...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today
include... Holland State Park... Grand Haven State Park... Pere
Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south to southwest winds will
increase this morning and continue through the day before
diminishing this evening. This will cause waves to build to
hazardous levels for swimming of 3 to 6 feet. Conditions will
gradually improve Monday night.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alabama - Special Statement , Record Report
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Indiana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Maine - Special Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Montana - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Special Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report