San Francisco Weather
Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:28 AM EDT on July 23, 2014
Expires 2:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through late
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents possible.
* Location... beaches from Grand Haven to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions this evening
and Wednesday include...
Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon this evening...
On Wednesday... the high impact beaches will shift to the north
side of piers including Stearns Park in Ludington... Mears State
Park and Muskegon State Park.
* Overview/potential impacts... north winds have developed and will
increase to 20 to 30 mph later today. Waves will increase to 3
to 6 feet creating hazardous swimming conditions. The north side
of piers will be especially dangerous today and tonight as
strong structural currents are expected to develop. Additionally...
long shore currents are expected away from the piers.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
- Alabama - Special Statement
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report