Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:44 AM EDT on August 17, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 18, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from noon EDT today
through Friday evening...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from Holland to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include
Grand Haven State Park and Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south facing south piers will
become particularly dangerous today as south winds increase to
15 to 25 mph and waves build to 3 to 5 feet. As winds shift to
the west tonight into Friday, rip currents become a higher
threat. By this time period, waves of 5 to 8 feet are expected.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Georgia - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois -
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory
- Missouri -
- Montana - Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nevada -
- New Jersey - Special Statement
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Oregon - Air Quality Alert
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Watch
- Wisconsin - Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement