Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:20 PM EDT on June 30, 2016
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect from midnight EDT
tonight through Friday evening...
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
* Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions on Friday
North Beach in South Haven... Holland State Park... Muskegon State
Park... Mears State Park in Pentwater... Stearns Park in Ludington.
* Overview/potential impacts... winds will become north/northwest
overnight tonight and increase to 15 to 25 mph. Waves will
build to 3 to 6 feet by daybreak Friday morning. Winds and
waves will continue through Friday... and diminish Friday
evening. These conditions will produce very dangerous
currents... especially on the north side of piers and
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Air Quality Alert
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Arizona - Air Quality Alert , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Public Information Statement
- California - Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Georgia - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Idaho - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement
- Illinois - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert , Beach Hazard Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Kansas - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kentucky - Air Quality Alert
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Montana - Special Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement