Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Sedgwick County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on December 06, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
2-17 in 1939... more than 2 weeks of unseasonably warm weather
made the month the 3rd warmest on record. Seven daily
temperature records were set... including the all time
record high temperature for the month of 79 degrees on
the 5th. Daytime highs were balmy with 14 days in the
60's and 70's. Low temperatures dipped to freezing or
below on only 5 days. The period was dry with only a
trace of snow on the 12th.
3-15 in 1972... a protracted cold spell held an icy grip on Metro
Denver when maximum temperatures never reached above
freezing for 10 consecutive days from the 3rd through
the 12th and minimum temperatures dipped below zero on
eleven consecutive days from the 5th through the 15th.
Daily low temperature records were set with 15 degrees
below zero on the 5th... 17 degrees below zero on the 6th...
and 18 degrees below zero on the 10th. Daily record low
maximum readings were set with 3 degrees on the 6th and
6 degrees on the 9th. The very cold temperatures were
caused by 3 to 5 inches of snow cover and a Canadian air
4-6 in 1960... heavy snowfall totaled 12.0 inches over the 3 days
with 5.1 inches on the 4th... 5.2 inches on the 5th... and
1.7 inches on the 6th. Rain changed to snow early on the
4th and ended by early afternoon. Snow started again early
on the 5th and continued through midday on the 6th. West
northwest winds gusted to 30 mph on the 4th. Post cold
frontal temperatures cooled from a high of 38 degrees on
the 4th to a low of 7 degrees below zero on the 6th.
5-6 in 1883... a major snow storm hit the city. Heavy snow fell
from 10:00 am on the 5th to 7:30 am on the 6th. The amount
of snowfall was not recorded... but precipitation from melted
snow totaled 1.75 inches... which would give an estimated
snowfall of nearly 18 inches. Temperatures during the
storm were in the 30's... so some of the snow may have melted
as it fell. However... railroads were blocked and Telegraph
lines were downed in all directions. Telephone wires and
poles were nearly all broken down. The company manager
estimated the damage at 30 thousand dollars. Northeast
winds were sustained to 24 mph in the city.
In 1892... heavy snow totaled 6.2 inches in downtown Denver.
Most of the snow... 6.0 inches... fell on the 6th.
In 2001... high winds developed in the foothills northwest of
Denver. Winds gusted to 74 mph at Aspen Springs. West-
northwest winds gusted to 35 mph at Denver International
Airport... where the temperature warmed to a high of 55
degrees on the 6th.
5-7 in 1978... a major storm dumped heavy snow across Metro Denver.
At Stapleton International Airport... snowfall totaled 8.5
inches... northeast winds gusted to 46 mph... and temperatures
plunged from a high of 49 degrees on the 5th to a low of
only 6 degrees on the 6th. Maximum temperature of 6 degrees
on the 7th was a new daily record low maximum reading. Most
of the snow... 6.7 inches... fell on the 5th.
5-8 in 1983... high winds occurred in and near the foothills each
day. Wind gusts to 63 mph were registered in Golden Gate
Canyon on the evening of the 5th. On the evening of the
6th... winds knocked down trees... snapped power lines... and blew
out windows across Metro Denver. Gusts were clocked to 102
mph in southwest Metro Denver... while wind gusts to 38 mph
were recorded at Stapleton International Airport. On the
7th... winds overturned a tractor trailer near Castle Rock.
After midnight on the 8th... gusts to 97 mph were reported in
southeast Boulder. Wind speeds of 60 to 70 mph were
reported in other parts of Metro Denver.
6 in 1939... high temperature of 73 degrees was a record maximum
for the date. Low temperature of 44 degrees was a record
high minimum for the date.
In 1967... strong west winds produced blowing dust at Stapleton
International Airport where a wind gust to 55 mph was
recorded. A heavy windstorm caused minor damage in Boulder.
In Denver... some structural panels were blown from a building...
and the screen of an outdoor theater was severely damaged.
There were unofficial reports of wind gusts to 75 mph in
In 1977... wind gusting to 85 mph raked the foothills from
Boulder to Morrison. A few houses under construction
were blown down. Northwest winds gusted to 39 mph at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1991... high in the atmosphere... a volcanic ash cloud was
clearly visible in the direction of the sun during the
late morning and early afternoon.
6-7 in 1953... high winds buffeted the eastern foothills. Wind
gusts to 80 mph occurred on Lookout Mountain. In Denver
winds gusted to 65 mph. Damage in Boulder totaled 15
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Alaska - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- California - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Freeze Watch , Air Quality Alert , Special Statement
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Special Statement
- Indiana - Record Report
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Lake Effect Snow Watch , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Record Report
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Blizzard Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning, Blizzard Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement, Avalanche Warning , Special Statement , Avalanche Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Winter Weather Advisory
- Nevada - Special Statement
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New Jersey - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- New Mexico - Special Statement
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- North Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory , Blizzard Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning, Blizzard Warning , Blizzard Warning
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Winter Weather Statement , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - Special Statement
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Tennessee - Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory
- Washington - Winter Weather Statement , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory
- Wisconsin - Lake Effect Snow Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wyoming - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report