Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Southeast Elbert County Below 6000 Feet/South Lincoln County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on August 29, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
19-30 in 1875... grasshoppers appeared in great numbers at 10:00 am
on the 19th. Thousands landed on the ground. The streets
were literally covered with them. Swarms of grasshoppers
were seen on each day. All gardens in the city were
devastated... and in the Countryside the grasshoppers were
very destructive to ripened grain. On the 30th the
grasshoppers were so numerous as to almost darken the sun.
29 in 1876... after the passage of a gentle rain shower to the east
during the late evening hours... the moon shone brightly and
a remarkably bright lunar Rainbow appeared.
In 1910... an apparent cold front produced sustained northeast
winds to 40 mph.
In 1946... the high temperature warmed to only 55 degrees... the
record low maximum for the month.
In 1989... a spectacular lightning display knocked out power to
300 blocks in southeast Denver. One Bolt started a fire in
a lumber yard in the northeast part of the city... and the
attic of a home in the same area was set ablaze by a
In 1996... 3/4 inch diameter hail was measured in Parker.
In 2000... lightning struck two homes in Thornton. The extent
of damage was unknown.
In 2002... two small tornadoes caused damage in southeast Metro
Denver. The first tornado... associated with a multi-vortex
storm... touched down briefly near E-470 and South Jordan
Road. Some fences were damaged... and a few trees were blown
down. A few of the homes also sustained minor roof damage.
Damage from this storm totaled 100 thousand dollars. The
second tornado associated with the storm touched down in a
subdivision that was under construction at Gartrell and
Arapahoe roads. Four large condominiums under construction
were destroyed. The most heavily damaged portions of the
structures were still in the framing stages. Adjacent
sections where enclosed walls were in place were not
destroyed. A man suffered 4 broken ribs and several cuts
and bruises when the trailer he sought shelter in was
flipped three times and torn apart by the twister. Damage
from this storm totaled 6 million dollars.
A severe thunderstorm produced 1 inch diameter hail near
In 2006... severe thunderstorms produced large hail in the
foothills west of Denver. Hail to 1 inch in diameter fell
near Blackhawk. Hail as large as 7/8 inch was measured
near Idaho Springs... along with 3/4 inch hail near Nederland
- Alabama - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Georgia - Areal Flood Advisory
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Watch , High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - High Wind Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Nebraska - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Fire Weather Warning
- Puerto Rico - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Texas - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Virgin Islands - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning