Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, North and Northeast Elbert County Below 6000 Feet/North Lincoln County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on July 29, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
13-5 in 2008... a streak of 24 consecutive days of 90 degrees
shattered the previous record of 18 consecutive days
established in 1901 and 1874. Ironically... no new single
day record high temperatures were set in the month of July.
In August however... a record of 104 degrees was set on the
1st... and another record of 103 degrees was set on the 2nd.
In addition... a record low min of 70 degrees was set on
18-2 in 1987... a streak of 16 consecutive days of 90 degrees
ranked 4th on the list of hot streaks. The record of
24 consecutive days was established in the Summer of
27-31 in 1956... 96 percent of the total precipitation for the month
of July occurred over the last five days of the month.
Heavy thunderstorms produced 4.00 inches of rainfall at
Stapleton Airport. This amount of precipitation in 5 days
or less had been exceeded only 3 times in previous record.
The last time had been in December of 1913 as snow.
Considerable property damage occurred across Metro Denver
28-30 in 1889... dense smoke from Forest fires in the mountains
obscured the sun over the city for three days.
In 1971... a vigorous cold front late on the 28th produced
northeast wind gusts to 39 mph and record breaking cold
temperatures on the 29th and 30th. The temperature dipped
to 47 degrees on the 29th and 43 degrees on the 30th...
setting record minimums for the dates. Upslope cloudiness
along with rain and fog early on the 29th helped set a
record low maximum temperature of 58 degrees for the date.
29 in 1878... a total eclipse of the sun was observed at 2:20 PM.
From before to during the eclipse... the temperature in the
sun fell from 114 degrees to 82 degrees... while the shade
temperature fell from 89 degrees to 83 degrees.
In 1880... heavy thunderstorm rain and hail flooded streets
and ditches. In 25 minutes... 0.76 inch of rain fell on the
city along with large hail to 3/4 inch in diameter. There
were no strong winds with the storm.
In 1890... a thunderstorm produced sustained west winds to
48 mph with gusts to 60 mph... but only 0.01 inch of rain.
In 1956... heavy rain and hail fell over west and north Denver.
In 1964... hail to 3/4 inch in diameter fell at Lowry airfield.
In 1978... a small tornado was sighted just east of Parker. No
damage was reported.
In 1989... heavy rain drenched all areas of the Front Range...
both in the foothills and adjacent plains. Amounts of 1 to
3 inches were general over the area. Damage was confined to
a few minor Road washouts and some street... basement... and
crop flooding. Thunderstorm rainfall totaled 1.44 inches at
Stapleton International Airport where north winds gusted to
43 mph. Lightning struck a 250 thousand dollar home near
Nederland and started a fire which destroyed all of it
except two garages. Lightning started a fire in a home in
Evergreen. It reached the house by hitting a tree... then
traveling through a metal clothesline strung between the
tree and the building.
In 1995... thunderstorm winds gusted to 59 mph in Brighton.
Thunderstorm winds from the south-southeast gusted to 41
mph at Denver International Airport. High temperature
of 99 degrees was a new record maximum for the date in
In 1997... heavy rain caused flooding in an apartment building
in Westminster. Several residents had to be evacuated from
their apartments. A woman in Aspen Park received minor
injuries... when lightning passed through an office window
and struck her. She suffered temporary blindness for about
In 2003... hail as large as 1 inch in diameter pelted Conifer...
Highlands Ranch... and Franktown.
29-30 in 1997... heavy rain caused flooding and flash flooding in
central portions of Adams and Arapahoe counties. Two
homes were extensively damaged when water flooded the
basements and adjacent pasture area in Strasburg. Water
4 to 5 feet deep had pooled in the lower lying areas of
the town. A portion of Quincy Road was closed in Arapahoe
County when 4 feet of water covered the roadway.
Rainfall totaled 3.06 inches at Denver International
Airport... establishing a new record for 24-hour rainfall
in July. The previous record was 2.42 inches set in 1965
on the 24th and 25th.
- Alabama - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Delaware - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Florida - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Heat Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Heat Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Record Report
- Kansas - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Massachusetts - Dense Fog Advisory , Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Michigan - Special Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Montana - Areal Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- New York - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory
- Oregon - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Rhode Island - Air Quality Alert
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert, Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Washington - Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Wyoming - Record Report