Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Elbert/Central and East Douglas Counties Above 6000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on August 03, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
2-3 in 1876... grasshoppers were in great abundance in the city
and caused considerable damage to gardens and to crops
in the surrounding farms and ranches.
In 1951... heavy thunderstorms rumbled across Metro Denver
through the night. Heavy rain totaled 3.45 inches at
Stapleton Airport. This was the greatest 24 hour
precipitation ever recorded during the month of August
In 2007... heavy rain caused localized flash flooding near
ft. Lupton. Up to 8 inches of water was reported across
County Road 18. In addition... several other County roads
in the immediate area were washed out.
3 in 1878... the high temperature climbed to 100 degrees in
In 1900... a thunderstorm produced west winds sustained to
48 mph with gusts to 55 mph... but only a trace of rain.
In 1903... a thunderstorm produced a trace of rainfall and
northwest winds sustained to 45 mph with gusts to 60 mph.
The high temperature was 99 degrees.
In 1927... a thunderstorm produced hail and sustained north
winds to 22 mph.
In 1933... heavy cloudburst rains caused the failure of the
Castlewood dam... which resulted in flash flooding on Cherry
Creek... the deaths of 7 people in Denver... and flood damage
estimated at 1 million dollars. Lower Denver was flooded
during the morning by waters pouring down Cherry Creek
and its valley from Castlewood dam... which had broken
between midnight and 2:00 am. Heavy rain of 3 to 9 inches
in 9 hours in the watershed above the dam resulted in the
failure. At 7:30 am... the flow in Cherry Creek was reported
at 16 thousand second-feet as compared with a peak flow of
3 thousand second-feet in other years. The flood waters
ruined hundreds of acres of crops and drowned scores of
farm animals. Six bridges in Denver were swept away.
Great deposits of mud were left in the lower sections of
the city... including hundreds of basements and lower floors
of buildings. At the end of the month... a deadly stench
still rose from swampy areas near the Lower City limits.
In 1963... heavy thunderstorm rains in the Parker area caused
Cherry Creek to overflow... which damaged roads.
In 1985... a tornado touched down briefly about 10 miles
northeast of Parker. No damage was reported.
In 1991... upslope northeast winds produced chilly temperature
readings and heavy rain across Metro Denver. Rainfall...
with no thunder... totaled 1.56 inches at Stapleton
International Airport where the heavy rain briefly reduced
the surface visibility to 7/8 mile. The Mercury climbed to
a high of only 63 degrees.
In 1992... a thunderstorm wind gust to 64 mph was recorded in
Brighton. A wind gust to 60 mph was measured near the
construction site of the new Denver International Airport.
Lightning started a fire in an Evergreen church... causing
over 75 thousand dollars in damage.
In 1998... 3/4 inch hail fell in Jefferson County 15 miles
northwest of Arvada.
In 2006... heavy thunderstorm rainfall caused flash flooding
along Leyden creek in unincorporated Jefferson County.
An automated rain gauge on upper Leyden creek... 6 miles
northwest of Arvada... measured 2.68 inches of rainfall in
less than 2 hours. Two to three feet of water covered the
roadway at the intersection of 82nd and Quaker Street.
In 2009... a woman riding her bike... in training for an ironman
triatholon... was struck by lightning in Boulder. She was in
the 78th mile of a 100-Mile training ride when she was
hit. The woman lost her vision initially and couldn't
move her arms. After a short stay in the hospital... she
made of complete recovery.
3-4 in 1988... two inches of rain fell in 3 hours at both Morrison
and Wheat Ridge. Thunderstorm rainfall totaled 0.80
inch overnight at Stapleton International Airport.
- Alabama - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Heat Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch, Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Watch, Coastal Flood Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Beach Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Beach Hazard Statement
- South Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement, Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Flash Flood Watch